Saturday, April 19, 2008

Standoff






We are in a standoff with a duck who is trying to make a nest within a few feet of our front door. What a nice lesson in biology except that a duck will protect her eggs and babies against someone who is, say, getting the morning newspaper or going out to ride her bike. It's a nice idea but I do not want a duck's nest in our front yard. I called around and it turns out ducks are protected so for now I have blocked the spot she chose and put a radio playing NPR on the porch.

Now the duck is just hanging out across the street, biding her time, I guess, until I give up.

Update: The duck won. She was sitting there this morning when we got up and when we shooed her away we found an egg. Great. Now we can't keep her away.

The picture, by the way, is a shot from our doorway to the duck across the street. She is hard to see but there she is, waiting for me to surrender.

No comments: