Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The importance of being Olivia

Today I sat down with Olivia after school to give her a little talk about being a bit kinder to Caroline. I had decided that Olivia needed to feel important, but I couldn't think of a job I could give her that wouldn't be taken as a chore. So I decided just to tell her how wonderful she is and how important a job it is to be a big sister. I told her that Caroline looks to her to know what to do and how to do it and that there is so much she will teach Caroline. And that Caroline is sad when Olivia criticizes her. And that I get sad, too. At that point Olivia was distracted by a friend walking by. I called her back and said we weren't quite finished.

She put her hands on my knees, looked me in the face and said, "So what's your point?"

No comments: